[labnetwork] gas room means of egress

Lavallee, Guy P. gpl107 at psu.edu
Tue Nov 6 12:42:48 EST 2012

Iulian,
   We just finished the build of our new facility here at PSU and I have a quick comment on the consultant's interpretation.  We found that different consultants can have significantly different reads on the building / fire codes in your local.   This is critical to understand from an owners standpoint because in the end a bad interpretation can come back to bite you.  We had several issues related to consultants especially as it related to the Hazard Class rating of the facility and had to push hard to get the ones we questioned reviewed by other independent consultants.

  Here at PSU our HPM room has more than one egress door but that was based on the design / layout and one code consultants interpretation of the room.  Having more than one egress point from a hazardous room seems logical but may not be practical or efficient based on its footprint.  In the end you have to go through different scenarios that may occur in the room and how one would safely exit.  If you determine there is a situation that could occur and having only one door would be detrimental than that would be a good reason to have a second egress door even though code only says you need one.  Obviously in a situation like this it comes down to cost justification.

Guy

Penn State University's Nanofabrication Laboratory
Lead Etch Engineer
Materials Research Institute
N-105 Millennium Science Complex (MSC Bldg)
University Park, PA 16802
Email: gpl107 at psu.edu