[labnetwork] Query on safety concern

Olona, Leonard E. len.olona at ou.edu
Mon Mar 24 17:02:49 EDT 2014

V,

Diborane and Phosphine gases are very toxic and deadly...

I'm not sure why you are not using the ll's for sample transfer.  It would
appear that an SOP would employ the use of load locks to create a barrier
between the reaction chamber and the outside world.  I would be concerned
about a failure in your gas delivery system or even outgassing during the
opening of the process chamber.

5X N2 pump purges in my opinion is not nearly enough.  A typical pump
purge for toxic gas cylinder changes is at least 25x.  Are you using a
Nederman style snorkel exhaust or any fume exhaust abatement whilst
unloading your samples?  Are you using any PPE or supplied air masks?

You may want to consider keeping your process chamber under vacuum to keep
its integrity. Ambient moisture from atmosphere upon opening the chamber
will surely create unwanted fumes and contaminates.

How large is chamber?

Thank you,

-Len

Leonard E. Olona