[labnetwork] Shared Chiller [for equipment cooling] Issues

Bob Hamilton roberthamilton at berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 22 11:07:49 EDT 2014

Kamal Yadav,

It is difficult to diagnose your issue given the information in your
e-mail. It is possible a single tool is using more water than it needs
and therefore reducing the available volume to tools with higher
impedance cooling circuits. You may also have a blocked cooling channel
in a tool(s). Consider running water through them, backwards and into an
open drain or bucket to back-flush them.

A question; what purpose does this chiller serve? Does it supply
deionized for rf cooling circuits where the resistivity of the water is
important or does it simply provide equipment cooling? Is it a heat
exchanger (HX) or is it Freon-based centrifigal chiller? Do you have a
rotameter in the cooling loop?

Assuming the conductance of various tools allows most of the process
cooling water to flow through those tools with lowest impedance consider
adding "flow-setters" to your tools or just to the tool using too much
water. There are dynamic version of flow-setters that adjust flow to a
specific volume of liters-per-minute and maintain this constant flow
over a range of pressure.

At the Marvell NanoLab we've used flow-setters made of brass, PVC and
stainless depending on the application. If you choose PVC versions, I'd
pick male pipe thread (mpt) over female pipe thread (fpt). We try and
avoid threading metal mpt fittings into plastic fpt fittings because the
plastic fitting may crack at some part of its service life causing
flooding.

Appended are a few US links that provide an example of the device I am
referring to. I've also seen them on EBAY.
http://www.deanbennett.com/dole-flow-control-valves.htm
http://www.haysfluidcontrols.ca/hays_automatic_flow_controls_2305.htm
http://www.merrillmfg.com/product/08-WellPoints/Merrill-Valves/features.php
http://www.plastomatic.com/fc.html
http://www.swtwater.com/catalog/1318_flow_controls.htm

Regards from the MNL,
Bob Hamilton

--
Robert Hamilton
University of California at Berkeley
bob at eecs.berkeley.edu
e-mail preferred
My personal mobile: 510-325-7557

bob at eecs.berkeley.edu
Phone: 510-809-8600
Mobile: 510-325-7557 (Emergencies only poor cell phone service in lab)e-mail preferred