[labnetwork] Software End of Life Ramifications

Chris Malocsay chris at malocsay.com
Wed Aug 19 23:17:23 EDT 2015

Hi Mark; after 30 years of PVD system automation with platforms from PC
board, 8086 processors continued with NT, XP and now Windows there really
is no simple answer.   Just today I serviced a 1985 vintage PC board, Eprom
multi target PVD tool after completing a grueling 3 week repair of a XP to
GE Fanuc machine of exact mechanical platform.   My only saving grace was
documentation, software ownership and two additional grey haired knuckle
heads like me.   A few simple rules for the prospective buyer of PC
controlled systems.

1.       Documentation:  You must be able to follow a digital I/O string
thru the control loop from beginning to end from the manual or schematics
provided by the manufacturer.

2.       Software: You must demand source code, developer keys of the
PC-PLC logic package and drivers used.

3.       Price:  Quality engineering of the above two items are not cheap;
there are companies who perform and a lot that don’t.  References and
visits to the manufacturer is your only warranty.

A big hit came when the 32 to 64 bit conversion rendered many drivers
incapable of communication with new components.  It really takes some
capable engineers but there are solutions.   It is that price issue that
typically stands in the way.

Chris

Chris Malocsay
510-506-5894

Please Join us at the following upcoming events!

AVS 62 Click Here! <http://www.avs.org/symposium>

MRS Fall Meeting Click Here! <http://www.mrs.org/fall2015/>