[labnetwork] Bismuth Deposition

J Romans hromans at eng.ucsd.edu
Thu Aug 4 14:46:11 EDT 2016

Hello Esteemed Colleagues -

We have a research group that is interested in depositing Bismuth. We are
leaning towards allowing this in an ebeam evaporator, but sputtering is
also a possibility.

Is anyone aware of any pitfalls or tips associated with either method of
deposition? Bi has health and flammability ratings of 1 ( compare Cr with
health 2 and flammability 1, which we do a lot of).

We are more concerned with the physical characteristics that might cause
splattering, contamination, incompatibilities with other processes,
difficulty cleaning shielding, etc.

Hal Romans
Senior Equipment Engineer
University of California San Diego