[labnetwork] Bubble defects in Ebeam evaporated gold

Matt Moneck mmoneck at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Jul 23 11:40:59 EDT 2016

Hi Sunanda,

We had similar issues in the past with a Fabmate (i.e. graphite) crucible.
We had the same gold nodules on the side of the crucible and we had similar
"bubbles" in some of our films.  We also saw carbon residue on the Au
charge.  After discussing with some companies, our Process Engineer prompted
the switch to a tungsten crucible and it solved all of our problems.  The
bubbles and nodules went away, and the the sheet resistance of our films
improved.  Tungsten is more expensive, but it is worth it in my opinion.

Best Regards,

Matt

--
Matthew T. Moneck, Ph.D.
Executive Manager, Carnegie Mellon Nanofabrication Facility