[labnetwork] Lab management software

Klomparens, Dylan L. (Fed) dylan.klomparens at nist.gov
Wed Aug 16 15:55:27 EDT 2017

Hello everyone,
The CNST NanoFab at NIST<https://www.nist.gov/cnst/nanofab> has developed and used custom lab management software for the last 5 years. The NanoFab Equipment Management & Operations (NEMO) web application manages logistics for our NanoFab, including reservations, tool access control, maintenance tracking, and more. Other organizations have indicated that they are interested in using NEMO for their NanoFabs.
CNST has decided to make NEMO open source and free, with an invitational closed beta test beforehand. The purpose of the closed beta is to ensure there are no significant undiscovered problems in NEMO and work towards improving project documentation. After completing the beta test, CNST plans to release a full open source version of NEMO on January 1st, 2018. Our hope is to build a community of users and developers to improve NEMO, and work towards a shared resource that can benefit NanoFabs everywhere.
CNST feels it is important to set expectations properly during this open sourcing process. The source code would have a public domain license, which is essentially unrestricted. Furthermore, the NEMO project would follow open source software convention, which implies no official support or warranty. This is also why we feel it will be important for NEMO to have strong documentation and deployment instructions before the targeted full open source release.
NEMO is written in the Python programming language, and uses the Django web framework. It is operating system independent (can run on Linux or Windows) and has no hardware requirements. The NEMO source code is currently privately hosted on GitHub<https://github.com/>.
If your organization would like to consider using NEMO to manage your NanoFab and participate in the closed beta test, then please respond to this email (directly to me) with the following information:

*                     The organization you represent

*                     Your organization's level of interest in using NEMO for lab management

*                     Name and contact information of the person(s) who will perform technical setup and deployment of NEMO at your organization

*                     The approximate amount of time and effort your staff can commit to assisting with bugs, improvements, and documentation
We hope the nanofabrication community is excited about the release of this software, and we look forward to sharing it! Some screenshots of sample NEMO pages are attached.
-- Dylan Klomparens