[labnetwork] Deposition of AuBe films - Toxicity concerns

Nathan Nelson - Fitzpatrick nnelsonfitzpatrick at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jun 23 13:53:48 EDT 2017

Hi Labnetwork community,

Our cleanroom facility has just received an inquiry from someone who wants to deposit an Au-Be alloy by E-beam or thermal evaporation.  I just looked into the safety concerns surrounding the handling of Beryllium and I have to say that the materials available online from OSHA make it sound pretty scary (some links below).

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2011-107/pdfs/2011-107.pdf

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/beryllium/

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA3821.pdf

I was wondering if anyone in this group has experience working with Beryllium or Beryllium alloy depositions?  If so, can you please share the precautions you undertake to prevent/avoid health issues?  I'm particularly concerned with how to clean/maintain such a deposition system as Beryllium dust (possibly generated during cleaning) seems to be the primary concern with this material.

Thank you in advance,
  -Nathan
--
Nathan Nelson-Fitzpatrick  PhD
Nanofabrication Process Engineering Manager

Office location:  Lazaridis QNC 1611
Ph: +1 519-888-4567 ext. 31796
Cell:  +1 226-218-3206