[labnetwork] Cross contamination due to evaporation on lead containing perovskite material

Noah Clay nclay at upenn.edu
Sun Nov 10 13:57:11 EST 2019

Hi Aamer,

It’s a tough situation when you have to put a material in a chamber that makes you uneasy and could affect other researchers’ work in your lab.  If it must be done, I recommend avoiding ion pre-cleans, substrate bias, heating or other wafer-level processes that might volatilize Pb from the perovskites.  Here’s my two cents, FWIW:

1. Benchmark your chamber: deposit a film such as silver on a bare wafer, which entrains background contamination and can be used in SIMS or XPS analysis to fingerprint the current chamber state.

2. Protect the chamber: UHV foil wrap appropriate inner chamber hardware.  Run the process and tear down the foil.

3. Compare chamber states: Repeat #1 and quantify any deltas.

Good luck,
Noah Clay

University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA