[labnetwork] Resist coating of tiny pieces

Michael Rooks michael.rooks at yale.edu
Mon Nov 16 13:52:08 EST 2020

How tiny are the pieces? When we do lithography on little diamonds, we use
crystalbond wax to stick them to silicon wafers, then we just drip resist
(pmma) over the diamonds. It's not very uniform, but it does the job.
Larger, flat, millimeter-range pieces can also be waxed to the center of
silicon wafers, without any etched recesses. Spinning resist will not
provide a very uniform layer, but it's usually good enough for e-beam.
Contact photolithography requires good uniformity; my advice is don't do
it. When the pieces are > 5mm then they can be spun just like tiny wafers,
with tiny spinner vacuum chucks. If the pieces have silicon nitride windows
then you can avoid the vacuum chuck by making a spinner chuck with a simple
recess, and no suction.

Michael Rooks
nano.yale.edu