[labnetwork] Toxic gas delivery for small fabs?

Collins, Deon deonc69 at illinois.edu
Mon Dec 4 09:27:54 EST 2023

The first things you want to find out are the local, state, and federal code on these materials. Being a new fabrication, you will most likely have to abide by the most up to date codes and their revisions.   As Holonyak Lab was design and built in the late 80's the way I manage HPM's may be very different from your requirements.

We have 2 toxic gas vaults with gas cabinets for delivery We use Ps-7's(electrochromic sensors) and CL-96(Hydride tape) for gas monitoring.

In our case H2 is delivered from a tube trailer. Every and all piping is coaxial as well as orbital welded up until it is distributed in the chase to our clean rooms. From there we rely in VCR connections and H2 monitoring for leaks 24/7.

Our current CL2, BCL3 delivery system is being replaced by new cabinets from CSI. We had elected to install these cabinets in our toxic gas vaults but may need to pivot due to the length of the delivery path.

As far as abatement, HMNTL used to run outdated and unreliable CDO's. We are pivoting to a water scrubber just for the etching tools. This what has been recommended for our etch tools but depending on the material you are processing you may need another type of abatement device. I might add we run our exhaust through a second large scrubber as that is the exhaust source for toxic sources.

Again, I would suggest researching your specific codes before jumping to conclusions. Semi Standards is good place to start.
Deon D. Collins

FACILITY MANAGER
The Grainger College Of Engineering UIUC
Holonyak Micro & Nanotechnology Lab
208 N Wright St Rm. 1114 | MC-249
Urbana, IL 61801
217-300-7531 | deonc69 at illinois.edu<mailto:deonc69 at illinois.edu>

[cid:image001.png at 01DA268B.C6B87D20]<http://illinois.edu/>

Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act any written communication to or from university employees regarding university business is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure.

Life is not about watching other people live it. It's about you living your own!