[labnetwork] Toxic gas delivery for small fabs?

Iulian Codreanu codreanu at udel.edu
Mon Dec 4 15:02:47 EST 2023

Welcome Russ!

As some of our colleagues have/will mentioned/mention, it is best to
work with your local folks such as EHS, fire marshal, and city code
enforcers. At times you may have to educate them on certain topics.
Gathering input from other places across the country as you are doing
should be very helpful in your conversations.

At Delaware I have gas room for corrosives (placed in gas cabinets) and
an inerts "farm". I also have a bunker that houses pyrophorics and
flammables (also placed in gas cabinets). The BCl3 cabinet is located in
the chase close to the tools that need it (there are very clever folks
on this mailing list who know how to flow things like BCl3 across
hundreds of feet). All corrosives, flammables, and toxics are
transported to the tools via coaxial lines. I also have a toxic gas
monitoring system with various levels of integration with the tools, the
fire alarm system, and the the building management system.

The gas equipment provided by Applied Energy Systems seems to be very
popular with the university cleanrooms and with good reason; I've been
happy with their products for the past 16 years.

Abatement of fluorinated gases seems to also be a local code item and I
do not have to abate them here.

Good luck!

Iulian

iulian Codreanu, Ph.D.