[labnetwork] Toxic gas delivery for small fabs?

Kamal Yadav kamalyadav2848 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 22:44:15 EST 2023

Hi Russ,

Hope you doing well.

For Cl2, BCl3, HBr you can have a gas cabinet and you use near point of
use. We had that at Caltech. AES was the vendor for the gas cabinet. Also
Norcimbus (reverse of submicron).

Gases such as SF6, CF4, are considered inert and don't need gas detectors
or cabinets.

Mostly your flow rates will be low and I have seen academia avoiding
scrubber for Cl2 but ideally they are recommended and must. These gases are
toxic so you need toxic gas alarms inside the cabinet, which usually have
it, and also near the tool or chase where there is possibility of leak. You
need toxic gas alarm system which connects your gas detectors in cabinet,
near the tool, etc where you have installed them.

Co-axial lines (SS) are recommended/must for toxic gases. It's a secondary
containment. BCL3 condensation is a concern but ideally you use it at a
pressure that you don't need heater jackets on the SS tubing. I also heard
heater jackets can't cover the lines 100% anyway so that condenses
regardless.

Toxic gas cabinets are common and most importantly they have auto shut off
valve and purge options. There are many features on these cabinets and
vendors can walk you through for what's absolutely needed.

For H2, if it's forming gas, it's not much of a concern, I think. For
100%H2 cabinet is a must I think.

Thanks,
Kamal