[labnetwork] TemEbeam beam coil issue

Khanna, Rohit r.khanna at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Sep 22 09:34:13 EDT 2023

Hi Alexey,
                 I came across your mail regarding the E-beam evaporator we have a Edwards Edwards A500 FL500 thermal evaporator. Few years back we had a similar problem with the controller. I had to trouble shoot the unit. I would describe the repair to you, First you need to measure the inductance of the deflection coil in the chamber. There should be two set of coils for beam deflection in say X & Y direction these coil should have some reasonable inductance say around 10 Ohms. Please note the DC resistance if a false indicator and don't use a DMM to measure the resistance.

Once you are certain the deflection coils are not shorted out then try investigating the coil deflection unit. In principle this unit is essentially a two channel audio amplifier which is being driven by a two channel. In our case the final stage of the coil deflection amplifier was made up of an audio amplifier which had shorted out, in this case there is going to a constant DC signal being applied to the coil. I had to replace this amplifier and the part number for our design is LM3886T, in addition we also had to replace some freewheeling diode and the part number for that was RS3M-13-F or something equivalent. In case you are in doubt open the unit and share few pictures of the PCB.

Warm Regards
Rohit Khanna
Electronic Test & Measurement Engineer
London Centre for NANO Technology, UCL