[labnetwork] 2-photon Lithography (Nanoscribe or other nano 3D printers)

Matthias Blaicher blaicher at nanoscribe.com
Tue Apr 2 09:28:48 EDT 2024

Hi Lawrence,

> ​I’m not aware of any 2-photon polymerisation systems that are capable of achieving sub-100nm features. The Nanoscribe in my facility struggles to get down to 200nm features.

You are definitely right if you define resolution as the minimal distance between two free-standing beams/rods, say for the traditional woodpile photonic crystal structure. Nanofrazer may very well be the correct tool for such tasks.

However, Adam mentioned "100 nm in hight precision", which can be possible, depending on what exactly is meant:

For example, if you print a lens with our two-photon grayscale lithography process, we typically see less than 10 nm surface roughness (R_a) and better than 300nm absolute surface deviation (S_z) on a printed design.  The latter can be further improved with an iteration, since deviations are typically very reproducible.

Traditionally, people have used ever smaller slicing distances (say 100nm slicing distance) to reduce staircasing and achieve smooth and precise surfaces, which drastically slows down the print speed and often results in dose accumulation. However, the values I previously mentioned are typically achieved with 1.0 to 1.5µm slicing distance. So, if you were to design a 100nm height variation pattern into your CAD design, you would see it show up as 100 nm z-variation on the surfaces, despite the >1 µm slicing distance.

I am sorry that I can only show a marketing image [1] for visual proof, but the attached image nicely shows what I mean. Note how the boat's surfaces have textures attached, which come out well and slicing step free, despite the ~1µm slicing distance. (The SEM image was not modified in any way.)

If your system is a Quantum X system and cannot achieve this, please reach out to me. I am sure we can get it figured out.

Very best,

Matthias

[1] https://twitter.com/NanoscribeGmbH/status/1755178514507067574